Friday, June 4, 2010

Cycle 1, Day 3

I thought I would take a minute to explain what actually happens when I go for my chemotherapy infusion. I arrive in a open room with comfy chairs around the parameter of the room. Each chair is paired with an IV pole. First, I get my vitals taken. Then I start my IV infusion with half a liter of IV fluids to keep my kidneys well hydrated. Then I get all my premedications: 1mg Ativan, Alloxie (anti nausea medicine) every other day, tablet of Emend (anti nausea medicine), IV Pepcid (to protect my stomach), and an IV bag of benadryl and decadrone. That is a lot of medications and most of them make me really sleepy. I usually fall asleep afterward and end up sleeping through the infusion of VP 16 and cisplatin (the chemotherapy medicines). After the chemotherapy medicines, I get the second half of the liter of IV fluids. Then I'm finished. However, I'm usually fatigued throughout the rest of the day. I usually come home, eat lite lunch, and then take a 3-4 hour nap. Other than the fatigue, the only other major side effect I'm experiencing is hiccups. I've had them for the past 2 days in a row. The PharmD recommended adding thorazine today to help relieve the symptoms. Well, I'm getting tired. Time to sign out for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment